West Hollywood, CA – The Summer on Sunset celebration — a partnership between West Hollywood Travel + Tourism Board and The City of West Hollywood as well as local businesses on the Sunset Strip—features an exciting series of events and special offers through September 3, 2018. This year’s theme—”A Tribute to the Summer of Love”—celebrates the Strip’s past as a major gathering place for the counterculture movement of the 1960’s. Summer on Sunset reignites that cultural movement, one celebrating the influence of pop culture through music, dining, and entertainment on the Strip.
“Over fifty years after the ‘Summer of Love,’ we look back at this influential time and are inspired by a socio-cultural,” says Tom Kiely, President & CEO of West Hollywood Travel + Tourism Board. “West Hollywood has always been a creative and progressive city that embodies the quintessential L.A. lifestyle. As the Sunset Strip continues to blaze its own path as a world-famous cultural landmark, setting trends in music, hospitality, dining, and design, we invite those from near and far to fall in love with the Strip’s rebellious, forward-thinking spirit.”
Summer on Sunset pays homage to the indulgent past of the city’s iconic entertainment venues—Whisky a Go Go, The Roxy and The Troubadour—which rose to notoriety by hosting acts like Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Elton John, Janis Joplin, and Jimi Hendrix. Summer on Sunset features similar sounds and unique programming, attracting crowds to legendary music venues and hotels on the Strip:
- The Viper Room | Sunset Jam brings together the top touring musicians in a completely unrehearsed night of live music, Mondays at 8:30 p.m.
- Whisky a Go Go |An anchor on the Sunset Strip since its opening in 1964, the venue hosts up and coming artists and rock ‘n’ roll cover bands like the Led Zepagain on Saturday, August 4 at 8 p.m.
- The Standard | KCRW’s DJ Valida curates two acoustic musical acts to perform unplugged in the Cactus Lounge on Wednesdays at 7 p.m.
- Sunset Marquis | Serving as a home away from home for incredible musicians for 50+ years, Sunset Marquis continues its tradition with the acoustic music showcase, Live@Sunset Marquis, on August 3 & 24
- Andaz West Hollywood | The legendary rock n’ roll hotel formerly known as the Riot Hyatt hosts “Sunsets on Sunset” Thursdays from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- London West Hollywood at Beverly Hills | The London’s Boxwood on the Roof celebrates summer with live music by Jacob Mondry on Wednesdays, a Crystal Cocktail menu on Tuesdays, and Ice Cream Sundays to end the week on a sweet note
- Sunset Trip, to transport patrons along the Strip. Shuttles run Friday and Saturday every 15 minutes from 7 p.m. to 3 a.m. along Sunset Boulevard while also connecting to stops on neighboring streets, including Santa Monica Boulevard where guests can transfer to The PickUp shuttle.